Transferring a business name to a new owner
This page outlines what the current owner needs to do to transfer ownership of their business name.
If you are the current owner of a business name and you need to transfer it to a new owner:
- Go to ASIC Connect and log in to your account. If you don't have an account you'll need to create one.
- Link your business name to your account with your ASIC key if you haven't already.
- Select the Lodgements & Notifications tab at the top of the ASIC Connect page. Check your business email address. If this is incorrect or an email address has not been provided, you can update your business name address details.
- Select the business name you are transferring.
- In the transaction column, select Cancel/Transfer business name and select Go.
- Select that 'I would like to transfer the business name' and select Next.
- Review your transaction.
- Complete your declarations.
You will then receive a transfer number via email within 24 hours. The transfer number is 13 characters long and in the format of number 1, hyphen and 11 digits, e.g.1-12345678910.
You must give the transfer number to the new business name owner. They will need this to register the business name in their name.
Need help? See our user guides.
- Check your email to make sure it hasn't gone to your spam folder.
- Send us an online enquiry. Select that your question is about a 'business name' and you would like to know how to 'registration'.
- Tell us you have not received your transfer number, you have checked your spam folder and would like the email re-sent.