Australian Business Number
When registering a business name, you must provide an ABN or ABN reference number. You can apply for an ABN at the Australian Business Register (ABR).
When you apply for an ABN online through the ABR, you can link straight to ASIC Connect to register your business name. This ABR service allows business owners to apply for an ABN and register a business name in a single transaction.
- Entering your ABN
- Details we use from the ABR
- Using an ABN reference number
- Registering a business name with a suppressed ABN
You will need to select whether the proposed business name holder:
- has an ABN.
- has applied for an ABN and has an ABN reference number.
- is applying as a joint venture which does not have an ABN, but all joint venture partners have an ABN. Each partner's ABN will need to be entered in the application.
- carries on business exclusively on Christmas Island or the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and does not have an ABN. You will need to provide the entity name and type.
You must enter your ABN without spaces.
After entering your ABN, some details will automatically fill on your application. These details are taken from the ABR and include the ABN holder’s name and entity type.
You cannot change these details.
If they are incorrect, check you have entered the correct ABN or contact the ABR to update your details before resuming your application.
If you apply with an ABN reference number, the business name will be held (but not registered) until your ABN application is determined by the ABR.
If the ABN is granted and nothing else is outstanding (for example, payment of the registration fee), the ABR will notify us and we will register your business name.
If you have problems using the ABN reference number or your application remains pending for more than 28 days, contact the ABR.
If your ABN was cancelled and then reinstated by the ABR, you will need to contact us and provide the following information:
- the ABN and
- the ASIC Connect transaction reference number.
If your ABN has been suppressed on the ABR, you won't be able to complete your business name registration online using ASIC Connect.
In this instance, you will need to contact us and provide the following information:
- the proposed business name and
- your contact details.
An ASIC staff member will contact you.