ASIC media releases are point-in-time statements. Please note the date of issue and use the internal search function on the site to check for other media releases on the same or related matters.
18-068MR Federal Court orders the winding up of Superfunded
The Federal Court of Australia has made orders by consent to wind up WA-based company Superfunded Pty Ltd (Superfunded), appointing Jason Tracy of Deloitte as the Liquidator.
ASIC made the winding up application for the appointment of a Liquidator to Superfunded to the Federal Court of Australia on 15 February 2018. (refer: 18-054MR)
ASIC had previously obtained a range of interim injunctions in the Perth Federal Court on 9 November 2017 (refer: 17-400MR) against Superfunded and its sole director, Mr Max David Goldenberg, of Currambine and its sole shareholder Mr Mark Travis Goldenberg of Claremont (the Goldenbergs):
- restraining Superfunded and the Goldenbergs from providing financial services
- restraining Superfunded and the Goldenbergs from having access to client or investor assets
- prohibiting advertising, promoting or marketing financial services or products in relation to the investors and potential investors of the Superfunded Loan Investment Trust
- for the preservation of assets; and
- for financial disclosure.
ASIC Commissioner John Price said, "This case serves as a reminder to consumers approached to set up self -managed super funds, to take care to ensure they are not being drawn into schemes that may involve illegal early access to superannuation."
ASIC's investigation is ongoing.
ASIC's MoneySmart website has guidance for consumers on self-managed super funds.