Legal requirements for small business

New ID requirement for directors

Company directors need to verify their identity as part of a new director identification number (director ID) requirement. A director ID is a unique identifier that a director will apply for once and keep forever. Find out more at our Director ID information page.

If you operate a small business using a business name, you have certain legal obligations. Here we outline what you need to do to comply with Australian law.

Registering your business name

If you intend to carry on a business under a business name, you must register the name. You do not need to register a business name if:

  • you conduct business under your personal name (e.g. John Smith)
  • you have a company and you conduct business under the company name
  • you are in a partnership and you conduct business under all of the partners' names (e.g. Smith & Holt)

If you trade under any other name, see registering a business name to find out how to make your business name legal.

ASIC may also request information for the purposes of establishing or maintaining the Business Names Register. You must provide this information if requested.

Registering a business name will not stop someone who has registered the name as a trademark from using it. Find out more about business names and trademarks.

Changing or cancelling your business name

You must notify ASIC within 28 days if there’s been a change to the details of your business name. Find out how to change your business name details or cancel your business name.

Renewing a business name

You must renew your business name before the renewal date to avoid it being cancelled by ASIC. Get more details on renewing your business name.

If you become disqualified

ASIC must be notified where a business name holder, or a person involved in the management of a business name holder, is disqualified from holding a business name.

You can use ASIC Connect to notify us that you or a person involved in the management of a business name holder is disqualified.

Using your business name in documents

If you are conducting business with another entity, any documents you provide must include your business name and Australian Business Number.

Last updated: 01/11/2021 10:39