ASIC media releases are point-in-time statements. Please note the date of issue and use the internal search function on the site to check for other media releases on the same or related matters.
14-282MR ASIC concerns prompt NAB to correct misleading home loan claims
National Australia Bank (NAB) will run advertisements correcting claims about its home loan rate as part of ASIC’s crackdown of false and misleading financial promotions.
Earlier this month a NAB promotional wraparound published in The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age claimed the bank ‘had the lowest standard variable rate for more than five years’.
The claim was false as NAB failed to qualify its claim with words to the effect 'of the four major banks'. Outside the major banks, NAB has not had the lowest standard variable rate over the past five years.
ASIC Deputy Chairman Peter Kell said, ‘It is important that all firms ensure financial promotions are fair, clear and not misleading so that consumers are able to make informed decisions.
‘Buying a home can be a very big step in someone’s life and claims about the cost of a home loan can dramatically impact that decision, so it is vital that these are accurate and truthful.’
NAB will run advertisements in Tuesday’s issues of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age correcting the record.
ASIC’s active monitoring of financial services and credit advertising has forced companies to change the way they go about selling themselves, including more than 10 this year. These include:
- NAB’s UBank (refer: 14-235MR)
- Make it Mine Finance Pty Ltd (refer: 14-198MR)
- Esuperfund Pty Ltd (refer: 14-196MR)
- Your Super Accountant (refer: 14-195MR)
- Virgin Money (refer: 14-091MR)
- Wealth Within Ltd (refer: 14-075MR)
- Paid International Ltd (refer: 14-065MR)
- SuperHelp (refer: 14-051MR)
- Jeremy (WA) Pty Ltd (refer: 14-022MR)
- Media Super (refer: 14-001MR)
- a number of banks and mutual authorised deposit-taking institutions (refer: 13-325MR)
- Insure 247 Pty Ltd (refer: 13-291MR)
- Woolworths (refer: 13-177MR)
- HSBC (refer: 13-176MR and 12-73AD)
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (refer: 13-176MR and 12-03MR)
- GE Money (refer: 12-198MR)
- RAMS (refer: 12-153MR), and
- Bankwest (refer: 12-110MR).