Information Publication Scheme
An Information Publication Scheme (IPS) for Australian Government agencies has been established under Part II of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).
Under the IPS, ASIC must publish on our website:
- a plan showing how we propose to implement our obligations under Part II, and
- a range of information, including information about what we do, the way we do it, as well as information dealt with or used in the course of our operations (some of which is called 'operational information').
The information which we publish must be kept accurate, up-to-date and complete.
We are not required to publish material that is exempt from disclosure under the FOI Act. This exempt matter includes:
- material that is subject to legal professional privilege; or
- information the publication of which could reasonably be expected to prejudice an investigation.
We are also not required to publish information if prohibited by law.
We must publish details of any fees we charge for accessing information.
Publication of ASIC’s information
ASIC has for many years been publishing much of the information in question on this website. We will continue to do so and we are augmenting that information with the additional information required to meet the requirements of the IPS.
The information required under the IPS includes:
- ASIC’s Information Publication Scheme Plan
- ASIC's structure
- details of ASIC’s functions including our decision-making powers and other powers affecting members of the public
- details of Commission members and Regional Commissioners
- information in our annual reports
- information in documents which ASIC routinely gives access to in response to requests for access under the FOI Act
- information that is routinely provided to Parliament.
We publish details of arrangements for members of the public to comment on specific policy proposals for which we are responsible, at the beginning of each consultation paper by which we seek such comment.
You may contact us in writing addressed to:
Senior Manager – Freedom of Information
GPO Box 9827
Brisbane QLD 4001
or send an email to: FOIrequest@asic.gov.au