Your ongoing obligations as an SMSF auditor
As an approved SMSF auditor, you must comply with ongoing statutory obligations and any conditions of your registration.
- keep your details up-to-date with us
- lodge your annual statement with us
- complete the prescribed ongoing professional development
- hold the prescribed professional indemnity insurance.
You must also comply with:
- any conditions imposed on your registration
- the auditor independence requirements set out in APES 110 Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants produced by the Accounting Professional & Ethical Standards Board Limited
- the applicable auditing, or auditing and assurance, standards issued by the Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (AUASB)
- the SMSF auditor competency standards issued by ASIC in Class Order [CO 12/1687] Competency standards for approved SMSF auditors.
For more information, see Regulatory Guide 243 Registration of self-managed superannuation fund auditors (RG 243).
Monitoring and enforcement
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) monitors SMSF auditor compliance. Refer SMSF auditors (ato.gov.au)
We will investigate any compliance matters the ATO refers to us. If we determine that the SMSF auditor has been non-compliant, we may:
- impose or vary conditions on the SMSF auditor's registration
- accept an enforceable undertaking
- cancel the SMSF auditor's registration, or
- disqualify or suspend the auditor from being an approved SMSF auditor.
- Regulatory resources for SMSF auditors
- Lodging your annual statement
- Updating your details and submitting requests to ASIC
- ASIC’s SMSF auditor competency standards (ASIC Class Order [CO 12-1687] Competency standards for approved SMSF auditors)
- Applying for relief
- Approved SMSF auditors in Online services for business (ato.gov.au)
We are always looking to improve our information for SMSF auditors so we would like to know what's important to you. Please leave us some feedback.