Who needs to transfer business name
If the person or organisation that holds a business name changes, you may need to transfer the registration.
This page outlines common situations when a business name needs transferring.
You will need to transfer the business name to a new holder if:
- You have sold your business
- You are passing your business name on to a friend or family member
- You are forming a partnership with an existing business name holder and another party
- One of the partners in a joint venture has left and is being replaced
- One of the partners in a joint venture has left and there are still two or more partners continuing
- One of the partners in a partnership or joint venture has left and only one partner remains
If you hold a business name under a partnership, you will need to check your partnership agreement to see if it allows you to change the partners.
If the agreement allows you to change the partners in the partnership, you do not have to transfer the registration. Instead, you can conduct an 'add/remove partner' transaction. You will also need to complete a 'change holder details' transaction and update the partnership name.
This does not include joint ventures.