AFS licensees

Important notice: AFS licensees are now required to submit breach reports to us via the ASIC Regulatory Portal. The portal will replace existing submission channels. Visit our Changes to how AFS licensees report breaches page for more information.

You must have an Australian financial services (AFS) licence to conduct a financial services business.

If you carry on a business of providing financial services, you must hold an AFS licence (unless you are exempt or are authorised to provide those services as a representative of another person who holds an AFS licence).

You may need an AFS licence if, as part of your business, you:

  • provide financial product advice to clients
  • deal in a financial product
  • make a market for a financial product
  • operate a registered scheme
  • provide a custodial or depository service, or
  • provide traditional trustee company services.

You will need to have your AFS licence or be a representative of a licensee from the day you start your financial services business. Depending on your business, you may  decide to apply for a limited AFS licence.

ASIC assesses applications for AFS licences as part of our role as regulator of the financial services industry.

Consumers should be aware that the licensing process is a point-in-time assessment of the licensee, not of its owners or employees. Holding an AFS licence does not guarantee the probity or quality of the licensee’s services.

Related information

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Contact us

Last updated: 20/10/2014 12:00