ASIC media releases are point-in-time statements. Please note the date of issue and use the internal search function on the site to check for other media releases on the same or related matters.
16-161MR NSW men prevented from acting as registered liquidators for five years
ASIC has accepted enforceable undertakings (EUs) from Sydney-based registered liquidators, Mr Peter George Burton and Mr Brian Hugh Allen, after an ASIC review of several external administrations found they failed to adequately and properly discharge their duties as registered liquidators.
Messrs Burton and Allen operated an accounting practice under the name 'Burton Glenn Allen, Chartered Accountants'. At the time of the ASIC review, Mr Allen had already resigned as a partner of the firm.
Mr Burton has undertaken to request cancellation of his registration as an official and a registered liquidator and he will not reapply for registration for a period of five years.
Mr Allen has undertaken not to reapply for registration for a period of five years. The EU regarding Mr Allen notes that ASIC, prior to accepting the EU, had already cancelled Mr Allen’s registration upon his request.
ASIC reviewed several of Messrs Burton and Allen’s external administrations and found they failed to adequately discharge their duties in that they did not:
- conduct, or alternatively properly document, pre-appointment independence reviews;
- disclose the existence of indemnities;
- disclose all pre-appointment communications and meetings with relevant persons or entities;
- take steps to protect and secure assets in a timely manner;
- adequately investigate the company's affairs or, failed to adequately document those investigations;
- provide creditors with adequate remuneration reports and drew remuneration where they were not entitled to do so;
- identify and report misconduct to ASIC;
- hold annual meetings of creditors; and
- maintain proper books and records.
Not each and every one of ASIC’s views apply to all of the external administrations reviewed.
ASIC Commissioner John Price said, ‘ASIC continues its focus on liquidators as gatekeepers in our financial system. This includes ensuring they perform their duties with independence and, competently in the interests of creditors. ASIC will intervene where liquidators fall short of meeting legal and professional standards’.
ASIC acknowledges Messrs Burton and Allen’s cooperation.