ASIC media releases are point-in-time statements. Please note the date of issue and use the internal search function on the site to check for other media releases on the same or related matters.
21-239MR ASIC enforcement update January to June 2021
ASIC has today released its Enforcement Update for January to June 2021.
During this period, ASIC continued to pursue its enforcement priorities for a fair, strong and efficient financial system for all Australians.
Between January and June 2021, ASIC recorded the following enforcement outcomes:
- $29.6 million in civil penalties imposed by the courts;
- 133 people or companies prosecuted for strict liability offences;
- 70 people or entities removed or restricted from providing financial services or credit;
- 19 people disqualified or removed as directors of companies;
- Five people imprisoned and five more given non-custodial sentences;
- Three infringement notices issued;
- One court enforceable undertaking accepted by ASIC.
ASIC commenced 12 civil penalty proceedings during the period and commenced court action targeting misconduct in insurance, superannuation, markets, auditing and credit.