28 October 2022
- ASIC has received reports that scammers have been using look-alike domains to pretend to be ASIC and approach Registry customers via email.
- The emails ask Registry customers to pay fees and give personal information to renew their business or company name.
- These emails often have a link that requests your ASIC user names and passwords and may infect your computer with malware if you click the link.
How can I tell if an email is not from ASIC?
An email is probably a scam and is not from ASIC if it:
- asks you to make a payment over the phone
- asks you to make a payment to receive a refund
- asks you for your credit card or bank details directly by email or phone
- asks you to pay fees that are different to the fees on our website
- arrives outside of ASIC’s timeframes – ASIC will only issue a renewal notice 30 days before your renewal date. You can search for your business name on our register and if it's outside our usual timeframe, it might be a scam
ASIC notifications will come from the email address ASIC.Transaction.Noemail@example.com. Sometimes scams will try to use very similar looking email addresses to ASIC’s.
Below is an example of what a scam email could look like (click the image to enlarge)
How do I notify ASIC of a potential scam?
If you would like to notify ASIC of a potential scam email, you can forward the entire email to ReportASICEmailFraud@asic.gov.au.
I think I may have been scammed, what do I do?
- Do not send any more money
- Report it to your bank or financial institution
- Report it to ASIC by forwarding the entire email to ReportASICEmailFraud@asic.gov.au
- Be wary of secondary scams or services claiming they can recover your losses
For more information on what to do if you’ve been scammed, visit ASIC's Moneysmart website.
Support is available
For specific scam support contact IDCARE via their website or call 1800 595 160 (Monday to Friday, 8am–5pm).
If a scam is causing you problems with debt, talk to a financial counsellor. This is a free and confidential service to help you get your finances back on track.
If you need someone to talk to (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) contact:
- Lifeline — 13 11 14 or the online Crisis Support Chat
- Beyond Blue — 1300 22 4636 or Beyond Blue website