3 December 2020
- You may be entitled to compensation via the Freedom Insurance Remediation Program if you were sold a Freedom Insurance life or funeral insurance policy issued by either AIA Australia, NobleOak Life, or Swiss Re Life & Health Australia between October 2010 and October 2018.
- Genus Life Insurance Services is running the remediation program, as Freedom Insurance is no longer in operation.
- Genus Life Insurance Services will be contacting affected customers. If you have questions or would like to make a complaint you can also contact Genus on 1800 943 533 (9am to 6pm AEST weekdays) or at email@example.com.
You may be entitled to compensation if you were sold a life insurance, funeral insurance or accidental death insurance policy by Freedom Insurance between October 2010 and October 2018. This includes Freedom Insurance policies issued by AIA Australia, NobleOak Life or Swiss Re Life & Health Australia.
Compensation is being paid via the Freedom Insurance Remediation Program which is being run by Genus Life Insurance Services (Genus).
What do I need to do?
- If you were sold an insurance policy by Freedom Insurance between 2010 and 2018: you may be contacted by email, letter or phone by Genus.
- If you are a customer of AIA Australia, NobleOak Life or Swiss Re Life & Health Australia: ASIC encourages you to double-check your life, funeral or accidental death insurance policies to see if your policy was sold by Freedom Insurance. Whether or not you have cancelled your policy, if you are unhappy or have concerns you can contact Genus on 1800 943 533 (9am to 6pm AEST weekdays) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why is Genus Life Insurance Services contacting me instead of Freedom Insurance?
Genus is contacting you because Freedom Insurance is no longer operating and is in liquidation, even though letters or emails you receive (and the Freedom Insurance Remediation Program website) will have the Freedom Insurance logo. Genus is managing the process of compensating consumers.
Why is there compensation?
The Freedom Insurance Remediation Program was established to identify, contact and compensate customers who may have been harmed by the past conduct of Freedom Insurance. This past conduct may have included:
- not properly disclosing key features and limitations of life insurance policies at the time of sale
- engaging in pressure selling techniques
- selling products with limited value to the customer, and
- not cancelling life insurance policies promptly when requested by the customer.
I would like more information
If you still have concerns either about a policy sold to you by Freedom Insurance or the Freedom Insurance Remediation Program, you can make a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).
AFCA is a free, independent dispute resolution service providing fair and independent help with financial disputes and can be contacted on 1800 931 678 (9am to 5pm AEST/AEDT weekdays).
ASIC is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator.