Hear from the regulators: What you need to know
A speech by Greg Medcraft, Chairman Australian Securities and Investments Commission to the Governance Institute of Australia National Conference, Brisbane, 1 December 2014.
Today, I’d like to speak about maintaining trust and confidence in our markets.
In particular, I’d like to talk about:
- ASIC’s role
- challenges to markets and financial services
- how we respond, and
- areas of focus for ASIC’s Corporations team, including:
- the handling of confidential information
- promotional materials for hybrid securities, and
- rights issues with control implications.
ASIC’s fundamental objective is to allow markets to allocate capital efficiently to fund the real economy and, in turn, economic growth. This contributes to improved standards of living for all Australians.