Update on ASIC’s priorities
A speech by Greg Medcraft, Chairman, Australian Securities and Investments Commission at the ADC Forum Boardroom Lunch (Sydney, Australia), 20 July 2017
Good afternoon everyone. Thank you for inviting me here to speak at this lunch today.
Today I would like to talk to you about what we see as ASIC’s long-term challenges and how we are responding.
ASIC’s vision and challenges
ASIC’s vision is to allow markets to fund the economy, and in turn, economic growth. In doing so, contributing to the financial wellbeing of all Australians.
We do this by:
- promoting investor and consumer trust and confidence
- ensuring fair and efficient markets, and
- providing efficient registration services.
How we achieve our vision in the future will be influenced by the five key challenges we face. These challenges are:
- culture and conduct – aligning conduct in a market based system with investor and consumer trust and confidence
- building financial capability
- digital disruption and cyber resilience in financial services and markets
- globalisation of financial markets, products and services
- structural and demographic change in our financial system.
We will set out these challenges in our four-year Corporate Plan, which will be published at the end of August.