Registering a business name with a transfer number
This page outlines how to register a business name when it is transferred to a new owner.
The new owner needs to register the business name in their name, using the transfer number.
- Registering a business name with a transfer number
- What to do if you haven't received your transfer number
Before you can register the business name, you must have a current ABN and the transfer number from the previous owner.
If you are the new business owner and need to register the business name with a transfer number:
- Go to ASIC Connect and log in to your account. If you don’t have an account you'll need to create one. Make sure you say 'no', you don’t have a current business.
- Select the Licences and Registrations tab at the top of the ASIC Connect page.
- Select you would like to register a business name from the drop-down box.
- Read the information and tick the boxes. Select Get started.
- Select the relevant ABN option, enter your ABN and select Next.
- Enter the proposed business name exactly as it appears on our register. You can search the business name to find this.
- Enter the transfer number in the format provided. The transfer number is 13 characters long and in the format of number 1, hyphen and 11 digits, e.g.1-12345678910. The transfer number is confirmed at the end of the transaction.
- Select the registration period.
- Enter the proposed business name holder details.
- Enter the addresses of the proposed business name.
- Confirm the eligibility to hold the proposed business name.
- Review your application.
- Complete your declarations.
- Make your payment.
Need help? See our user guides.
If you haven't received the transfer number, you will need to contact the previous owner.