Money I have invested (financial services and advice)

Disputes about financial services or advice

ASIC does not settle disputes about financial services or advice. You can try to resolve a dispute through the financial firm's internal dispute resolution (IDR) process.

If the dispute cannot be settled internally, you can try external dispute resolution (EDR) through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). For more information, see Disputes with financial firms (INFO 174).

AFCA is an independent external dispute resolution scheme that deals with consumer and small business disputes about financial firms. See What to do if you are dissatisfied with a decision by AFCA (INFO 176).

ASIC's consumer website Moneysmart also provides a step-by-step guide to resolving problems with financial services or advice, such as managed investments, superannuation and insurance.

If there is evidence that a financial services provider has acted illegally, we may consider taking action. See Report misconduct to ASIC.

Frozen funds

Frozen funds are registered managed investment schemes that have suspended investors’ rights to redeem their investments (get their money back). For more information, see Your investments: Frozen funds and hardship payments (INFO 159 - Note: INFO 159 was withdrawn in August 2020).

Watch our video on Your investments: Frozen funds and hardship payments.

Or read the transcript.

Information on the Financial Advisers Register

If you are concerned about the information provided by an Australian financial services (AFS) licensee on the Financial Advisers Register, see how to report inaccurate information on the Financial Advisers Register.

If you want to correct inaccurate information about financial advisers on the Register, see Maintain (update) or correct a financial advisers details.

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Contact us

Last updated: 11/01/2023 12:48