Private service providers

You can choose to register or renew your business name with ASIC, or by using a private service provider (PSP).

A PSP may be your accountant, solicitor or another business who provides online services with ASIC.

PSP Fees

The business name fees ASIC charges and collects for the Australian Government are set by the Business Names Registration (Fees) Regulations 2011. These fees must be paid by the business owner. A PSP may collect and pay these fees to ASIC on behalf of the business owner. 

The PSP may charge a fee for their service, in addition to the amount that the law states. You should check the PSP's fees before using their services.

PSP services

PSPs may provide services over and above a business name's registration or renewal.

Examples include domain name checks, help with other registrations, reminders when due dates fall and business advice.

Business name renewal services

To help our customers, here is a list of what private service providers can and can’t do:

They can: They cannot:

Send you a letter in the mail offering to renew your business name within 2 months of your expiry date

Send you a letter in the mail offering to renew your business name earlier than 2 months before your expiry date

Collect payment from you for a renewal fee within 2 months of your business name expiry date

Contact you by email unless you have already given your consent

Collect payment from you for unpaid renewal periods (only if we have not cancelled your business name registration)

Collect payment from you for a business name renewal fee earlier than 2 months before the business name expiry date

Receive your Record of Registration (only if you consent to change your contact information)

Collect payment for fees from you without explaining what the fees are for

Change your contact information on ASIC’s records (only if you consent) Refuse to give you your ASIC key


What to do if you have an issue with a PSP

The first step is to contact the private service provider to explain the issue and how you would like it fixed.

If you are unable to fix the issue with a simple call or visit, make a formal complaint to the private service provider in writing.

In your letter or email, include:

  • the word 'complaint' in the heading or subject line
  • your name, contact details and the date
  • a clear explanation of the problem
  • copies of relevant documents, such as receipts or invoices

If you wish to report misconduct or poor behaviour by a private service provider, you can do so by visiting how to complain.

Related links

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Last updated: 30/03/2021 09:24