Australian Business Number
The Australian Business Number (ABN) is a unique number used to identify business names and companies. The Australian Business Register (ABR) provides ABNs.
- Who can get an ABN?
- What happens to your company's ACN?
- Can I use my ABN instead of an ACN?
- How do I apply for an ABN?
Companies that trade in Australia can apply for an ABN. You can also apply for an ABN as an individual or a partnership.
Your ACN is still active and can be used. Your ABN will be based on your company's ACN.
You can use your ABN instead of your ACN on company documents and material. You must make sure that:
- your ABN includes your nine digit ACN, and
- the ABN is used in the same places that the ACN is used.
For more information about Australian Business Numbers, contact the Australian Business Register.
You can apply for an ABN online through the Australian Business Register.