Debtor representative

A debtor representative can be appointed to manage a business name's liquidation, external administration, or bankruptcy.

If you are appointing yourself as a debtor representative, you must tell us the capacity in which you are being appointed or authorised.

You can be appointed as:

  • a trustee in bankruptcy
  • a liquidator within the meaning given by subsection 6(1) of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936
  • a receiver
  • a controller (within the meaning of section 9 of the Corporations Act 2001)
  • an administrator appointed to an entity under Division 2 of Part 5.3A of the Corporations Act 2001
  • a person appointed, or authorised, under a law of the Commonwealth, or of a state or territory, to manage the affairs of an entity because it is unable to pay all its debts as and when they become due and payable (If you select this option you will be asked under which law you have been appointed or authorised.)
  • an administrator of a deed of company arrangement executed by the entity
  • a foreign representative in respect of a foreign proceeding that has been recognised for the purposes of the Cross-Border Insolvency Act 2008

If you have been appointed as a debtor representative of a business name, you must make sure your details are kept up-to-date on the register and any changes are made within 28 days.

A debtor representative can authorise someone to carry on business while they're appointed. The authorised person is known as the 'nominated manager'.

The manager does not have the authority to make changes to the business names register.

How to appoint, remove or update details of a debtor representative

Step 1 - Download the paper form

Download the Change details of other business name representatives (296KB) paper transaction.

Step 2 - Complete the form

Fill out the details on the form and include a signature.

Step 3 - Send ASIC the form

You can email the form to

You can also send it by mail to

Australian Securities & Investments Commission
PO Box 4000
Gippsland Mail Centre
VIC 3841

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Contact us

Last updated: 30/03/2021 09:31