How to register as an Australian passport fund
To become an Australian passport fund, the fund must already be a registered scheme. However, it does not need to be a registered scheme at the time the application to register as an Australian passport fund is lodged.
We must register an Australian passport fund if we are of the opinion that the Australian passport fund operator:
- meets the eligible entity requirements in section 3 of Annex 2 to the Memorandum of Cooperation on the Establishment and Implementation of the Asia Region Funds Passport; and
- is likely to comply with the Corporations Act, including the Australian Passport Rules, and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission 2001 (ASIC Act).
An Australian passport fund operator seeking to register an Australian passport fund will need to complete and submit to ASIC an application and attach a copy of the product disclosure statement.
The registration system for Australian passport funds is now available through ASIC's Regulatory Portal. To register an Australian passport fund you can apply online through the Regulatory Portal.
For more information about registering for the Regulatory Portal, please see our user guide.
To apply for registration:
- From the top navigation bar, select 'Transactions' and then select 'All transactions index' from the drop-down list. This will take you to a page listing all available transactions.
- Select ‘Apply for registration as an Australian passport fund’. This will take you to a landing page for the registration application. This page contains information about fees, relevant legislation, privacy, etc.
- At the bottom of the landing page, select the 'Launch transaction' button to start your application.
For more information read:
- Regulatory Guide 131 Funds management: Establishing and registering a fund (RG 131)
- Regulatory Guide 132 Funds management: Compliance and oversight (RG 132)
- Regulatory Guide 181 Licensing: Managing conflicts of interest (RG 181)
- Regulatory Guide 259 Risk management systems of responsible entities (RG 259)