For more information about business names, see For Business.
Log in to ASIC Connect Sign up to ASIC Connect
- Register a business name using BRS
- How to sign up for an ASIC Connect account
- Steps to log in
- Link your business name to your ASIC Connect account
- What details can I update online?
- Support for business names
Register a business name using BRS
You can register a business name online using the Australian Government Business Registration Service (BRS). The BRS combines several business and tax registrations in one place, making it even easier to start a business.
Register a business name online
How to sign up for an ASIC Connect account
If you want to update your business name details (e.g. your address), you'll need to create an ASIC Connect account. To create an account:
1. Go to ASIC Connect
This is our online service used for registering a business name. From the right hand side of the ASIC homepage, select the blue ASIC Connect box.
You'll be taken to ASIC Connect. Select Sign up in the blue ASIC Connect box.
2. Read the information provided in the Getting started with ASIC Connect section
This includes information on the services available in ASIC Connect. Select Sign up.
3. Enter your details.
You need to include your contact details, as well as a username and password.
Your password must:
· be at least nine characters
· contain one lowercase letter (a-z), one uppercase letter (A-Z), and one number (0-9), and
· not share three consecutive letters with your first name, last name, or username. For instance, if your name is 'Smith' you cannot use 'Smi' in your password.
3. Agree to the terms and conditions set out in the Electronic Lodgement Protocol
You'll need to agree to ASIC's Electronic Lodgement Protocol.
4. Select Create account to continue
Your account has now been created.
Within 15 minutes, we will send you an activation email. Select the Activate ASIC Connect account link. If this does not work, copy and paste the link into a web browser.
Steps to log in
To log into ASIC Connect:
1. Visit the ASIC Connect log in page
Go to ASIC Connect.
2. Enter your username and password
Enter the username (email address) and password you provided when creating your ASIC Connect account.
3. View your account details
Once logged in, you will see your home page with a list of recently submitted transactions. You can also start a new transaction or resume a previously saved transaction.
Link your business name to your account
Before you can update your business name details, you may need to 'link' your business name to your account using your ASIC key. This makes sure that you're authorised to update the business name's details. To link your business name:
1. Go to ASIC Connect and log in to your account
If this is your first time logging in, you will be prompted to add any existing business names to your account.
2. Select the Link a business/Request ASIC key option from the Do it now menu on the right-hand side of the screen
This will start the linking transaction.
3. Answer Yes to the question and enter the details required
You will need to enter:
- the business type (i.e. Business name)
- your date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY format
- your role with the business name (e.g. business name holder or authorised lodger)
- the ASIC key.
Your business name has now been linked to your account.
You can also watch our video tutorial on how to link a business to your ASIC Connect account.
What details can I update online?
You can register a business name or renew your existing registration using ASIC Connect. You can also update all your information online, including addresses, name and other details.
Support for business names
If you're having issues trying to use ASIC Connect, visit our support page. Here you'll find step-by-step user guides for different transactions.
We also feature videos that explain what a business name is how to register, update, and renew.