How to sign up for an ASIC Connect account and link authorised representatives
There are three steps to complete before you can use ASIC Connect to notify appointments of authorised representatives or financial advisers:
- Sign up for an ASIC Connect account. You can create as many ASIC Connect accounts as you or your organisation need.
- Request an ASIC key.
- Using the ASIC key, link the licence(s) to your ASIC Connect account.
Further assistance about using ASIC Connect can be accessed via the Help button at the top right-hand side of the screen.
To get started, visit the ASIC website at www.asic.gov.au.
- Click on the blue ASIC Connect box. This will take you to ASIC Connect.
Select 'Sign up' in the blue ASIC Connect box.
- Enter your email address in the field provided. This will become your username.
- Enter a password that is a minimum length of nine characters, consisting of three of the following – lowercase (a – z) and uppercase (A – Z) alphabetic characters, numeric characters (0 – 9) or special characters (!$#%). It cannot contain any two consecutive characters that appear in your user ID, first name or last name. It must not be one of your previous eight passwords.
- Enter your personal details (given name, family name, phone).
- Select a security question from the drop-down box and enter the answer.
- Tick the box to confirm you have read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Select 'Create account' to continue.
We will send an activation email to the email address provided. This can take up to 15 minutes to reach you depending on your email provider.
After you receive the email, open it, and click on the 'Activate ASIC Connect account' link. If this does not work, you can copy and paste the link from your email into your web browser.
- Log in using your email address and password provided on previous screen.
Requesting an ASIC key
Before you can link the authorised representative to your account, you will need to request an ASIC key.
The ASIC key is a unique number associated with the licence used in ASIC Connect that helps us protect your business information by making sure only you, and those you have authorised can access it.
- Under the Do It Now box, select 'Link a business/request ASIC key' to request the ASIC key.
This screen allows you to provide the information required to request an ASIC key.
- Select 'No' when asked if you have an ASIC key for your business.
- To link an AFS licence, select 'AFS Representatives' from the drop-down box.
- Enter the 'Authorised Representative Number'.
- Select the address you would like the ASIC key sent to.
- Select 'Request an ASIC key'.
This screen confirms you have requested an ASIC key.
- The ASIC key will be sent to an email address (if one is recorded) or the principal place of business as recorded on the ASIC register of authorised representatives.
Linking an authorised representative
When you have received your ASIC key you will need to link the authorised representative to your account. Go to ASIC Connect.
- Log in with your username and password.
Under the Do It Now box, select 'Link a business/request ASIC key'.
- Select 'Yes' to the question Do you have an ASIC key for your business?
- To link an authorised representative who can further appoint, select 'AFS Representatives' from the drop-down box.
- Personal details:
- Enter your date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY formation in the fields provided.
- Select your role from the following options in the drop-down box:
- AFS Representative: The person (individual, body corporate or partnership) appointed as an authorised representative.
- Authorised Lodger: This role allows a person who does not hold the business to lodge on its behalf.
- Enter your ASIC key.
- Select 'Link to Account'.
This screen confirms the authorised representative has been linked to your account.
- Select 'Home' to return to the ASIC Connect homepage. You can now use ASIC Connect to notify an appointment of authorised representatives and financial advisers.
- Select one of the links for more information about other services.