Check name availability
ASIC's registers can be searched directly from the ASIC website.
The more criteria you enter about the search you want to conduct, the more relevant the results will be.
Assistance with using the search facility and purchasing search items can be accessed via the help function.
Start your search
To get started, visit the ASIC website at www.asic.gov.au.
- Click on 'Companies and organisations'. This will take you to ASIC Connect Search.
In the search field, select 'Check business name availability' from the drop-down box and enter the name.
- Click 'Go' to view the results.
You can also search by following these steps:
- Click 'Search ASIC Registers'.
- Highlight 'Check Name Availability' on the top menu.
- In the keyword field, enter the name.
- Click 'Search' to view the results.
This screen shows what will be displayed if there are no matches for your name search.
- Click on 'New Search' to start another search.
Name matches found
This screen shows the results of your search.
Up to 20 results are listed per page.
- If an identical name is found it will be highlighted at the top of the page.
- Similar names listed below.
- To view or print the results list in PDF format click on 'View Results List'.
- To view more information about each result click on the name, or tick the box next to the name (you may select more than one at a time) and click on 'View Details'.
This screen displays further information about the name you have entered.
- The page gives a summary of the company details. Under 'Information for purchase', a list of products available for purchase is displayed.
- To purchase information products:
- Select one or more products (if available).
- Click on 'Add To Cart'. Click 'OK' when confirmation box appears.
- Click 'Checkout'.
- To access the shopping cart click on 'View Cart' in the orange box at the top right of the screen.
- The list of information brokers offers an alternative way to search for, and purchase information about a company.
This screen will confirm all the products that were selected and give the option to remove any, prior to purchasing.
- To remove a product or products from the cart, tick the relevant box and click 'Remove'.
- To purchase products in the cart, click on 'Pay Now'.
Enter an email address for the delivery of the purchased products and the payment receipt. You will need to confirm the email address by entering it twice.
- Enter credit card details to make the payment.
- Click on 'Next'.
- The next screen will confirm payment or highlight any problems with the transaction.
This screen confirms the purchase of products.
- Click 'View & Print Payment Receipt' to open your receipt in PDF form.
- Your product and receipt will be sent to your email address for you to view, save and print. Alternatively you can collect the payment receipt and product online by selecting 'Online Retrieval Status'.