AFS licensees - lodging annual accounts as foreign company using form 405

Who lodges?

Australian financial services (AFS) licensees that are a foreign company must lodge with ASIC their profit and loss statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and audit report.

When to lodge

Under ASIC Corporations (Foreign Licensees and ADIs) Instrument 2016/186, foreign companies that hold an AFS licence are exempted from some of the accounting and audit obligations in the Corporations Act.

Download a copy of ASIC Corporations (Foreign Licensees and ADIs) Instrument 2016/186.

To comply with the relief provided by the instrument, foreign companies must lodge their annual accounts at least once in every calendar year and at intervals of not more than 15 months.

What to lodge

All registered foreign companies must lodge annual accounts under section 601CK of the Corporations Act. The relief provided by the above class orders means they do not have to lodge a second set of annual accounts if they hold an AFS licence.

Lodgement of the accounts under section 601CK with Form 405 will satisfy the class orders if the accounts are audited and accompanied by a copy of the audit report.

Download a copy of Form 405

How to lodge

Lodging by mail

Mail your form to:

Australian Securities & Investments Commission
PO Box 4000
Gippsland Mail Centre VIC 3841

Lodging via SBR enabled accounting software

Local agents or officers of foreign companies who lodge Forms 405 using Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled accounting software should:

  • Complete and lodge the Form 405 in SBR enabled accounting software and attach:

  • electronic copies of their financial accounts and reports in PDF format (mandatory attachments). File attachments must not contain any active or encrypted content and must be less than 10 MB in size. Up to five attachments are allowed; and

  • XBRL copies of their financial accounts and reports (optional attachment).

More information regarding SBR, SBR enabled accounting software and XBRL can be found at and

What if you need an extension of time?

If you need to apply for an extension of time to lodge your annual accounts as a foreign company, you need to ensure your application is received by ASIC on or before the lodgement deadline. ASIC cannot grant an extension if the lodgement date has passed. To apply for an extension, please write to the address below, providing the reason/s why it is outside your control to comply by the due date.

A fee of $3,487 must accompany the application. If you are granted an extension, you must also pay the relevant lodgement fee when you lodge your documents. You won’t need to pay a late fee as long as you lodge by the extension date.

Mail your application to:

Australian Securities & Investments Commission
Applications & Advice
GPO Box 9827 in your nearest capital city

More information

Ask us a question

More FS forms

Financial services homepage

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Contact us

Last updated: 20/10/2014 12:00