Equity market data for quarter ending March 2016

For an explanation of the measures used in this release, see Information Sheet 177 Quarterly cash equity market data: Methodology and definitions (INFO 177).

 

Equity market data from other quarters

Summary of March quarter data

In the March quarter 2016, the ASX accounted for 83.0% of the total dollar turnover in equity market products. Chi-X accounted for the remaining 17.0% of total dollar turnover. These figures include all trades executed on order book, as well as trades matched off order book and reported to either market operator. On-order book turnover (excluding ASX auctions) as a proportion of total dollar turnover increased to 68.3% in the March quarter 2016, compared to 67.3% in the December quarter 2015. Conversely, trade reporting turnover as a proportion of total dollar turnover decreased by 1.2 percentage points (ppts) to 16.7% over the quarter.

Overall daily turnover in the equity market averaged $5.7 billion in the March quarter 2016, a rise from $5.3 billion in the December 2015 quarter, and an increase from $5.5 billion in the March quarter 2015.

Intraday and interday volatility remained at elevated levels, rising above the peak seen in August 2015. The weighted average interday volatility for the S&P/ASX 200 index was 2.1% in the quarter, up from 1.8% in the previous quarter.

The weighted average quoted bid-ask spread for securities in the S&P/ASX 200 index rose by 0.3 basis points (bps) to 14.8 bps of the midpoint price in the quarter and rose by 0.3 bps to 23.5 bps of the midpoint price for all securities. The overall order-to-trade ratio increased slightly to 8.3:1 in the quarter driven by increases on both Chi-X and ASX. Below block size dark liquidity represented 11.6% of total value traded in the March quarter 2016, up 0.5 ppts from the previous quarter, and higher than its share a year prior (11.3%). Turnover in block size dark liquidity was 12.5% of total value traded, down 1.6 ppts from the previous quarter.

Table 1 - Market characteristics - average for March quarter

Statistics
ASX on-order
book
ASX auctions
ASX Centre Point
ASX trade
reporting
Chi-X on-order
book
Chi-X trade reporting
Total
Number of trades per day
(market share)
885,109
 (67.6%)
30,628
 (2.4%)
88,635
 (7.0%)
14,306
 (1.1%)
225,182
 (17.8%)
51,642
 (4.1%)
1,265,509
 (100.0%)
Value traded, $ million/day
(market share)
3,046.1
 (53.8%)
852.0
 (15.0%)
308.9
(5.5%)
494.6
 (8.7%)
512.4
 (9.0%)
449.2
 (9.3%)
5,633.2
(100.0%)
Order-to-trade ratio
6.8
na
na
na
14.5
na
8.3
Average trade size, $/trade
3,560
27,771
3,477
34,302
2,289
8,663
4,468

Table 2 - Measures of market concentration

Statistics

March 2015

January 2016

February 2016

March 2016

Total market Herfindahl index

0.44

0.54

0.46

0.45

Public venues Herfindahl index

0.71

0.71

0.69

0.69

Table 3 - Measures of market efficiency

Statistics
March 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
Quoted bid-ask spread, bps
- All stocks
- S&P/ASX 200 stocks
21.4
13.9
23.1
14.9
23.1
14.7
24.2
14.8
Effective bid-ask spread, bps
- All stocks
- S&P/ASX 200 stocks
18.0
11.4
19.0
11.7
18.7
11.3
19.1
11.2
Depth at best 5 price steps - all stocks, bps
- All stocks
- S&P/ASX 200 stocks
10.0
6.5
7.1
2.7
7.4
2.9
9.0
2.6

Figure 1: Market share - March quarter 2016

 

Figure 1 March 2016

 

Figure 2: Australia - Average daily turnover

Figure 2 March 2016

Figure 3: Average trade size by execution venue

Figure 3 March 2016

Figure 4: Dark liquidity proportion of total value traded

Figure 4 March 2016

Figure 5: Order-to-trade ratio

Figure 5 March 2016

Figure 6: Intraday trading profile - March quarter 2016

Figure 6 March 2016

Figure 7: Intraday volatility

Figure 7 March 2016

Figure 8: Interday volatility

Figure 8 March 2016

Figure 9: Herfindahl index

Figure 9 March 2016

Figure 10: Effective bid-ask spreads

Figure 10 March 2016

Figure 11: Quoted bid-ask spreads

Figure 11 March 2016

Figure 12: Depth at five price steps as basis points of issued securities

Figure 12 March 2016

Report suspicious activity

If you are a market participant and you see or suspect market misconduct you must notify ASIC

Lodge a suspicious activity report

Subscribe for updates

For the latest regulatory developments and issues affecting market intermediaries subscribe to our monthly Market Integrity Update.

MECS portal

The market entity compliance system (MECS) provides market entities with tools and information to assist with compliance.

Login to MECS

What's new

More financial markets releases

Last updated: 31/01/2017 10:52