Translation of documents

If any document is not in English, you must provide a certified translation of it into English if the document is to be lodged with ASIC or provided to a person in Australia. The exception is if the person consents to receive the document in a language other than English.

To facilitate our assessment of an overseas regulatory regime, we may also require either an English translation of any relevant parts of the regulatory regime, or independent verification of the relevant details of the regulatory regime.

A translation made outside Australia must be certified as a correct translation into English by:

  • a person who has lawful custody of the original document – that is, a person who exercises functions similar to those exercised by ASIC,
  • a notary public, or
  • a translator under the law.

A translation made inside Australia must be certified as a correct translation into English by a person approved by ASIC such as:

  • language teachers or professors at tertiary institutions
  • legal translators with a minimum 12 months experience in certifying translated documents or being an interpreter before the Courts
  • a Professional accredited translator by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI)
  • an approved translator from the Department of Home Affairs - Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National), or
  • any other qualified person of a Commonwealth or state government department providing accredited translation services.

If we seek verification of an English translation or other relevant details of an overseas regulatory regime, we will require you to meet the costs of such verification.

Search our registers

Use our online services

Find a form

Contact us

Last updated: 30/03/2021 09:22