Lodge SMSF auditor annual statement
This page provides an overview of the self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) auditor annual statement, and what SMSF auditors must do to complete it.
All approved and suspended SMSF auditors are required to lodge an SMSF auditor annual statement.
The SMSF auditor annual statement verifies that an auditor continues to meet the conditions of registration.
When do I have to complete the annual statement?
All SMSF auditors must lodge their annual statement within 30 days of their registration anniversary date.
On your anniversary date, we will send you a notice by email to advise you that your SMSF auditor annual statement is ready for you to complete.
Completing your statement using ASIC Connect
You must complete your statement using ASIC Connect. To complete the statement, you'll need to follow the steps below:
- Log into ASIC Connect. (You should have already created an ASIC Connect account as part of your SMSF auditor registration application.) Forgotten your ASIC Connect password? Reset it now.
- Use your ASIC key (provided in your annual statement reminder notice) to link your SMSF auditor registration to your account (if you didn’t link your account when you first registered). Need more help linking your SMSF auditor registration? See our user guides.
- Go to the 'Lodgements & Notifications' tab in ASIC Connect, select your SMSF auditor registration and choose the option 'SMSF auditor annual statement' from the transaction drop down menu. Then click 'Go'.
You can find step-by-step instructions on how to complete the annual statement on our SMSF auditors help page.
Questions included in the annual statement
While completing the annual statement, you will be asked a series of questions to ensure you are continuing to meet the conditions of your registration. The questions are similar to those asked during your original application for registration.
You should read each question carefully and consider your answer. If you are unsure whether to disclose information that may be relevant, we recommend you disclose it.
You will be asked to declare that all the information you provide is true and correct. Making a false declaration may result in administrative action being taken against you, which could result in disqualification as an approved SMSF auditor or your registration being suspended.
To help you prepare, we have published a guide to the questions you will be asked when completing your annual statement.
You can authorise another person to complete the SMSF auditor annual statement on your behalf. You must provide them with your ASIC key in order to link your registration to their ASIC Connect account.
In most cases, we will not require you to provide supporting documentation to support your SMSF auditor annual statement. However, in some cases, this may be necessary.
If you do need to provide supporting documentation to ASIC, you should email it to SMSFauditor.email@example.com. The subject line should include:
- your transaction reference number
- your name, and
- the type of transaction (for example: SMSF auditor annual statement).
Extension of time
If you are unable to complete your statement by the due date, you must apply for an extension of time. You can apply online using ASIC Connect.
We will consider your application and determine whether we can grant an extension if:
- your application was made before your annual statement due date, and
- the delay in completing the statement was caused by exception circumstances outside your control (such as serious illness or injury).
We can only consider an application if you apply before your annual statement due date. Applications received after this date will be rejected. For example, if you were registered on 15 April, you must apply before 15 May each year in order to have your request for an extension considered.
Annual statement fee
There is no fee for lodging an SMSF auditor annual statement.
Failure to complete your annual statement
If you do not complete your annual statement, we may cancel your registration.
We are always looking to improve our information for SMSF auditors so we would like to know what's important to you. Please leave us some feedback.