Regulatory costs and levies

The Australian Government’s industry funding arrangements for ASIC became law in 2017. 

Each year, we issue levy invoices to recover most of ASIC's regulatory costs from regulated entities. Detailed information about how we calculate levies is available in the ASIC Supervisory Cost Recovery Levy Regulations 2017.

This page sets out information on:

Cost recovery implementation statement

We publish ASIC's regulatory costs as part of the annual cost recovery implementation statement (CRIS). The CRIS outlines ASIC's forecast regulatory costs and activities by subsector for each financial year, and provides details on how ASIC allocated its costs in the previous year. The CRIS will also provide industry with indicative levies for the current financial year to help them plan.

Indicative levies

We publish indicative levies to give those regulated under industry funding laws an indication of what actual levy costs to expect. The indicative levies each year will be our best estimate based on information available to ASIC.

We strive to proactively identify and mitigate harms to consumers, investors and markets and respond to challenges as they arise. Actual allocations of costs may differ from our estimates due to changes in our regulatory environment over any given year.

In relation to our enforcement work, we cannot predict the nature and extent of these activities with certainty. Neither can we predict what costs will be awarded to ASIC by courts, which will offset our enforcement costs. Our budgeted enforcement costs, therefore, represent our best estimate of enforcement costs during the year.

The levies will fluctuate each year based on:

  • the actual cost of ASIC's regulation of each subsector – which will vary as we focus ASIC's resources where they are needed most, and will only be known at the end of each year
  • the number of regulated entities in each subsector
  • business activity metrics submitted by regulated entities between July and October.

Summary of levies

We publish the summary of levies each financial year after we have finalised the actual cost recovery amounts for that year. The summary sets out the levy metric and description, as well as the actual levy amounts, by subsector.

Annual dashboard report

We must publish an annual dashboard report each year, setting out information about our regulatory costs for the previous financial year: see section 138 of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001. The report is made up of two tables.

The first table shows how we have apportioned our regulatory costs in the financial year for each sector, by the type of activity undertaken and by the different kinds of expenses we have incurred.

The second table shows our total regulatory costs for the financial year and how we have apportioned those costs across each sector and subsector.

In the past, we have provided the information about the variances between our estimated and actual costs for industry sectors and subsectors for the previous year in our annual CRIS. For 2021-22, we are publishing this information with our annual dashboard to provide it to entities when we first publish actual regulatory costs from the previous year. We plan to continue to release this information with the annual dashboard each year.

Legislative instruments

ASIC makes legislative instruments each year, setting out our regulatory costs for the previous financial year, how they were allocated, and the metrics we use to calculate the levies.

FY 2021-22

Instruments relating to ASIC’s FY 2021–22 regulatory costs:

FY 2020–21

Instruments relating to ASIC’s FY 2020–21 regulatory costs:

FY 2019–20

Instruments relating to ASIC’s FY 2019–20 regulatory costs:

FY 2018–19

Instruments relating to ASIC’s FY 2018–19 regulatory costs:

FY 2017–18

Instruments relating to ASIC’s FY 2017–18 regulatory costs:

Fees for service are part of industry funding

While around 90% of ASIC’s regulatory activities are recovered in the form of industry funding levies, the remaining 10% are recovered via fees for ASIC regulatory services.

Last updated: 15/12/2022 11:38